Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Oh my god, I can NOT speak English anymore!

Okay, so I haven’t been able to speak real English in like two years, BUT it is getting even worse, as it is happening in my lessons now! Like, I cant explain games in English anymore! I was trying to explain battleship to 1nensei today. For some reason Japanese kids have no sense of strategy, and when they hit a ship once, it doesn’t occur to them that they should hit the other two spots on the ship somewhere around the first hit. So I was trying to tell them this in English and was like, “So, Ms. Tagawa hit my ship here. That means that (in my head I am currently thinking, “Oh, fuck, I don’t know where I am going with this in English!”)...there...are...places around here...that...are...hit-able?” Ahahahahahaha. I am SURE my 1nensei understood that perfect English! To make matters worse, my JTE started laughing at my horrible English! SAD! I also said it with the most unsure voice and look on my face, so I am sure my kids think I am retarded, even if they have no idea what I am saying. SAD!

1 comment:

Kris said...

sometime during 3学期 my life-long struggle with spelling came to a magnificent crescendo, leading my (then)3年生 to announce that:

"Kris is forgetting English! she's turning Japanese! Kris! you need NOVA!!"

...so until they graduated, that group of students called me "NOVA" instead of "Kris," and every time I tried to rouse some sympathy with a mock-plea of "いじめられてる!" they would reply with:
"No, no. It's a joke! we are NOVAトモ, right?!" (which was tagline from the un-escapable NOVA commercial at that time)

so at least your kids aren't making fun of you yet.